Blockchain and cryptocurrency are two emerging techs that can no longer be ignored. By enabling trustless, immutable, and decentralized financial solutions, blockchain is laying the foundation for a new generation of better and inclusive financial applications.
Crypto.com is an effort to push the world’s adoption of cryptocurrency. The platform has a motto: “put currency in every wallet.” Its main offering and what majorly contributes to this effort is its Monaco (MCO) visa card. Through the Visa card, Crypto.com hopes to solve the issue of traditional systems not accepting payment in crypto. And those that do, they do so through slow and often expensive processes which bar many people from using cryptocurrency.
Crypto.com hopes to solve this by offering “the best way to pay and be paid in crypto, anywhere, any crypto, for free.”
Crypto.com is a cryptocurrency and payment platform whose goal is to advance the worldwide adoption of crypto. Founded in 2016, the platform houses a range of products – from an exchange to crypto Visa cards, to a wallet and a crypto investment platform.
According to the team, “We strongly believe that decentralization is an important part of a better society for everyone, and by accelerating the world transition to cryptocurrency we are helping the world move in this direction. We will achieve this by building on one side, a network of cryptocurrency projects, and on the other side, focus on developing merchants’ ability to accept crypto as a form of payment.”
Crypto.com’s Go-to-Market Strategy
Crypto.com has a clear vision of how it wants to accomplish this. It has four “disruptive forces” to this end:
- Great offers for users to incentivize the usage of cryptocurrency
- Zero transaction fees for merchants
- A seamless experience for users
- A decentralized and trustless protocol to process transactions
What Does Crypto.com Offer?
Why should you care about Crypto.com? Well, that’s because it offers several great financial benefits for users. Signing up for Crypto.com gives you access to the following features:
- MCO Visa card through which you can spend crypto anywhere in the world
- Crypto.com app that allows you to buy, exchange, send and track crypto
- Crypto Credit feature that enables you spent money on credit through your MCO Visa card
- Crypto Earn that allows you to earn up to 20% interest by depositing crypto
- Crypto.com Exchange, a crypto exchange that has deep liquidity, competitive fees, and favorable execution prices
Crypto.com’s Native Tokens: MCO and CEO
The Crypto.com ecosystem utilizes a dual-token system. The tokens in question are MCO and CEO.
The MCO Token
The MCO token plays the following roles in the ecosystem:
- Allows users to own visa cards by staking in the tokens
- Allows users to get cashbacks (depending on the card tier) on spending
- Allows users to earn extra rewards like Netflix, Spotify, and Amazon Prime and other benefits when they stake more tokens
- Receive MCO at 6% p.a. for 500 and 8% p.a. for 5,000 and 50,000 amount in stake, respectively
The CRO Token
The CRO token has the following utilities:
- Facilitate cross-assets currency settlements on Crypto.com
- Reward nodes for validating and processing transactions
- As payment for transacting in CRO
- As a 50% discount to users when they purchase crypto on the crypto.com exchange
- Get users to access to Crypto.com’s Syndicate platform
Crypto.com has an in-house exchange that was launched in November 2019. Let’s look at some of the features of the exchange:
- The Vortex Liquidity System that allows users access to a global trading platform
- A 100% trading fee discount depending on your trading volume for the last 30 days and the amount of staked CRO
- 0% trading fee for the first 90 days
- Earn up to 20% interest just by depositing crypto
- A Matching Engine in an Order Management System that provides a fast and efficient trading environment
- Intuitive and interactive environment powered by a unified REST and Websocket API
Crypto.com charges a maker and taker fee starting at 0.2% and a transparent, competitive fee structure. However, staking CRO tokens grants you cheaper fees a 20% ROI on the staked amount.
Crypto.com’s MCO Visa cards
Crypto.com provides five tiers of Visa cards that you can choose depending on your budget and needs. Let’s go through each of them:
Midnight Blue: This card is beginner level. With the Midnight’ Blue card, you get 1% cashback. There is a withdrawal limit of $200, a withdrawal fee of 2%, and an interbank fee of 0.5%. You don’t need to own MCO tokens to own Midnight Blue.
Ruby Steel: With this card, you get a 2% cashback when you stake 50 MCO tokens and a 1% cashback when you don’t. Also, when you stake, you get a $4,000 interbank exchange rate limit and no limits on ATM withdrawal.
Jade Green/Royal Indigo: This tier is unlocked by staking 500 MCO tokens. With either of these cards, you get a 3% cashback, and if you don’t stake an MCO, you get a 1.5% cashback.
Icy White: When you stake 5,000 MCO tokens, you get a 4% cashback and stand a chance to earn bonus interest. This level has a $20,000 interbank exchange rate limit of $20,000 and an ATM withdrawal limit of $1,000. No-staking gains you a 1.75% cashback.
Obsidian Black: This is the highest level available. Staking 50,000 MCO grants you 5% cashback and unlimited interbank exchange rates, and an ATM withdrawal limit of $1,000. Not staking gives you a 2% cashback.
Depending on the tier, there are also various benefits ranging from free access to Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime, airport lounge access, an exclusive merchandise welcome pack, and rebates on Airbnb and Expedia.
Tokenomics of Crypto.com
Now, let’s check in on how Crypto.com stacks up in the market. As of July 29, 2020, the cryptocurrency was the 9th largest in the world, with a market cap of 2.95 billion. Its 24-hour volume was $115, 652, 263, and it had a circulating supply of 18, 466, 210, 046, and a total supply of 100 billion. Crypto.com’s highest ever price was $0.168761, while its lowest ever was $0.011487 (Dec 17, 2018).
Buying and Storing Crypto.com
You can purchase Crypto.com from several exchanges, including OKEx, Huobi Global, HitBTC, Bittrex, BitMart, DigiFinex, BitHumb, Gate.io, CoinDCX, Sistemcoin, CoinTiger, and KuCoin.
Crypto.com has provided its own wallet, the Crypto.com Wallet, which is “designed to give you full control and secured custody of your crypto.” If you’re using user-custodied wallets such as Ledger and MyEtherWallet, you can migrate your existing wallet to the Crypto.com wallet using a 12/2824 recovery phrase. Following the import, you can continue managing your crypto using the Crypto.com Wallet.
In its small way, Crypto.com is doing its part in promoting the wide-scale use of crypto. With the MCO Visa card, say goodbye to not being able to spend crypto your funds. And the bonus is if you stake in the MCO token, you unlock loads of possibilities with what you can do with the card. Multiply your crypto holdings just by putting it to work for you. Build an investment portfolio without breaking a sweat. Get lots of benefits by using the native exchange platform. No matter your needs, there’s something for everyone on Crypto.com!